Peeper Chicken - (Piquant Saucy Chicken)
- Good tasting extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Shredded zest of 1/4 of a large lemon
- Juice of a 1/2 a large lemon, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large handfuls mixed salad greens
- Film the bottom of a 10-inch straight-sided sauté pan with olive oil and set over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, black pepper (start with 1 teaspoon), salt, lemon zest, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. Add the chicken breasts, turning to coat with the pan juices.
- Turn heat down to medium-low or so, until the liquids just barely bubble. Cover the pan and cook 6 minutes; turn chicken over, cover and cook another 6 to 10 minutes, or until the breasts are firm when pressed. Make sure they're not over cooked. There should be no give when you press them, but they shouldn't bounce back. Internal temperature should be about 160 deg. F.
- Place the breasts on a plate and let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, simmer down the pan juices until almost syrupy. Once the 10 minutes are up, heap the greens on two plates, top each with a chicken breast and pour the pan juices over each arrangement. Serve hot.