HERB-BAKED ONION BLOOM
Onions are low in calories yet add abundant flavor to a wide variety of foods. With only 30 calories per serving, onions are sodium, fat, and cholesterol free, and provide dietary fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium, and other key nutrients.
- 1 large onion (3 – 3 1/2 inches wide)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Parsley or paprika, if desired
- Cut about 1/2-inch off top of onion; peel onion.
- Cut onion into 12 to 16 vertical wedges, leaving root base intact.
- Set bloomed onion on 14 X 10-inch foil piece.
- Top onion with butter, thyme or oregano, rosemary and salt and pepper, to taste.
- If desired, sprinkle with minced parsley or paprika.
- Wrap foil around seasoned bloom and pinch edges together tightly.
- Place wrapped onion upright on pan. Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes, or until tender and cooked but "petals" still have body and stand upright.
- Baked wrapped onion may be held in warm location for up to 1 hour before serving. Makes 1 serving.