Gazpacho - Cold Spanish Soup
- 6 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 1 sweet red bell pepper (or green) seeded and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 6 or more drops of Tabasco sauce to taste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups tomato juice
- Sliced almonds, toasted
- Coarsely dice all the veggies and mix together in a large, non-reactive bowl.
- Add seasonings to taste and chill - up to 8 hours.
- Serve in bowls that have been wet and then put in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
Makes 4 large servings with enough left over for 1 or 2 bowls.
I use 1 green bell and 1 red bell pepper, 3 stalks celery, scallions instead of chives, (easier to
come by), 3 cloves garlic, 1/2 lime squeezed in lime juicer, and Trader Joe's Garden Patch
vegetable juice instead of plain tomato juice. Recommend using habañero sauce instead of
commercial Tabasco sauce, but that's personal preference.