Gyudon (Beef Bowl) recipe
- 12 ounces boneless beef sirloin
- 1 onion
- 2 1/2 cups short-grain rice
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tbsps mirin
- 5 tbsps soy sauce
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 1 tbsp sake (optional)
- Slice Beef - Beef should be cooled in freezer for 15 minutes to 1/2 hour prior to slicing. Slices should be extremely thin, and about 1" wide and 2" or 3" long.
- Cut onions crosswise into 1 inch lengths - Reserve.
- Wash rice with cold water, cook rice with salt and water.
- About 10 minutes before serving, heat remaining water, mirin, sake and soy sauce to boiling over medium high heat.
- Add beef and boil until beef reaches desired doneness.
- Add onions and boil 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat.
- Divide rice among 4 individual serving bowls. Place equal amounts of beef and onions over rice in each bowl. Ladle equal amounts of cooking liquid into each bowl.
- Serve immediately.
Garnish with benishoga, (preserved ginger).