Black Bean Soup
- 1 Tbs. vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- 1 Tsp. ground coriander
- 1.5 Tsp. cumin
- Coarse salt, to taste
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 Oz) vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 Oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup masa mixed thoroughly in 4 Oz. cold water
- 4 scallions, sliced thinly on an angle
- Tortilla chips for garnish
Sour Cream Sauce Ingredients:
- 8 Oz. sour cream/yogurt; Greek style yogurt from Trader Joe's works great.
- 1 – 2 Oz. cayenne pepper sauce/hot sauce
- Handful fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a deep pot over medium to medium-high heat
- Add onion, garlic, jalapeños, and bay leaf
- Season with coriander, cumin, and a little salt.
- Add beans, crushed tomatoes, and broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, 5 Min.
- Add masa-water mix; while stirring, pour mix in a slow, steady stream.
- Serve in bowls topped with fresh scallions with tortilla chips on the side, for dipping.
For Sour Cream Sauce:
- Combine sour cream, cayenne pepper sauce, and cilantro in a food processor and pulse-grind into a smooth sauce.
- Place a dollop of the sauce on top of the soup in the center of the bowl, garnish with a bit of cilantro or mint.